Here we go.

24 July 2009

Still not sick of you

On Wednesday evening, we picked up Alannah @ her hotel and drove to downtown NLR to dine at Starving Artist Cafe. We sat on the patio, which was nice even with the nearby construction noise pollution. Think circular saws and random alarms going off. The chef went over there and tried to put a stop to it, but it picked back up after 5 mins. Anyway, the food. We started with olive salsa w/ foccacia. I didn't overdo it, I think, but eating real bread is some kind of special. We three had different fish dinners, all served with haricot vert & a nice cheesy, starchy risotto. They are consistent because I left extremely satisfied. Our meal left us exhausted and parched (all of those olives!), so we called it an evening, which was probably a good idea because Alannah has a lot going on right now.



It turns out that I will be DJing while Eclipse Glasses plays on the roof of the Arkansas Queen. What?! I need to get a play list together! I get a little nervous when I think about it because I haven't done that in a minute. I'm really hoping that E.G. will just steal the show, so I'm only entertaining one or two randoms who are on the roof for a smoke or to talk on their cell phone. Need to start that list! Comments open for suggestions.

Mum gave me a ridic amount of cucumbers that will not be eaten fast enough. I can't give the things away; there are not a lot of cuke fans around here. I'm workin' a half-day, so I'll make some quick pickles this p.m. Everyone loveth the pickle, right? And it works out because I'm going to a pool party @ Baldy's parent's house tonight and I said I'd bring snacks. Serendipitous.

6 comments:

Alannah said...

You do need a Wii. I need to get more into ours. It's like w/ my camera - I know it can do so much and it's not being utilized to its full potential. Not even close.

That meal was the best one I've had so far on this trip. Lots of nasty road food...and a mega-disgusting "Mexican" dinner in Memphis. The sacrifices I make for the students....

Oh, and PS - I've started doing research (if you call Wikipedia research) into Fort Chaffee and its use as a refugee camp. I sure wish you had more history and information from your parents. Is it just too painful? Too weighted?

In other, completely unrelated news...do you watch True Blood?

AMD & KMHD said...

I want a Wii so bad! I'm such a tech-junkie. But, "playing" tennis and bowling and Mario Kart sounds like fun fun fun.

Egads to bad road food. If you need someone to do research of what grocery stores or restaurants are in yr area, let me know! I can send info to yr iPhone.

We went to Ft. Chaffee this past weekend. It made me feel so sad. Everything is overgrown. It's wild to know that the last time I was there, it was a functioning base. Now, it's just a ghost town. I asked my folks if they had photos and they said they'd see what they can find.

In short, we can't talk to our father. He is an alcoholic and is totally mental. Our relationship is extremely delicate. We try to let the good things about him carry us through, but he always manages to screw that up. He lies to us and is insufferable. I don't think I will get any good family history from him.

I may have a better chance with mum. When I talked to her today, she was sad to hear about the state of Ft. Chaffee. Too, when I asked her about photos and whatnot, she seemed pleased that I even asked. So, we will see where that goes.

And YES! to True Blood. I've only watched the first half of the first season, but we don't have the HBO, so I have to wait for DVDs. Love it!

nicole said...

When are you DJ-ing/EG playing on the Queen? Would love to come!

AMD & KMHD said...

Nicole: The show is August 29. I think this is the plan: We start boarding folks @ 10 p.m. and "set sail" @ 10:30 sharp. We cruise the river for a couple of hours and dock @ 12:30 or 1:00.

The downside is that it's $15, but I think it will be fun. I'll be jockeying discs while EG plays.

I told the guys yesterday that they need to get these flyers going! Because people are askin' about it via my blog! ;)

Can I sell you and Jim some tix?

nicole said...

Absolutely. That'd be great, thanks! Just let me know when and how to get ya the money.

kmhd said...

You know what song to queue as we set sail... e.n.y.a.

Blog Archive